Friday, October 9, 2009

Huge Surprise



I, like most of the world was completely shocked when it was announced President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. It is such a great honor but I mean seriously? I am huge supporter, don't get me wrong. But I think it's a little soon for him to getting such a prestigious award. He's only been in office for 10 months and of course we all know he is working very hard to try to gain much needed exposure to the most important things OUR generation has to worry about such as climate change, the economy, nuclear wars, clash of religions and many more.
However, doesn't it seem that he is being awarded for something he hasn't actually accomplished yet. Isn't it a little premature? It's like a scientist getting an award for an experiment he hasn't completed yet!
In any case, I congratulate him because he is definitely on the right track, and even though he hasn't done anything that we can materialize yet , Obama continues to offer the change our generation wants to see in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge Obama fan, but I found myself a little surprised as well. I said, "What??? Why???" But when I think about it, I should not be. Heck, the simple fact that he was able to unite America to the point that they would even ELECT him as President, I guess he deserves it for that feat alone.

    Think about it. America is one of the most segregated and racist countries on the planet. I did not believe that I would ever see a African American elected as President. But there is something unifying about him. He has an innate ability to bring together people from every walk of life and we all willingly follow him.

    I worked on his campaign briefly here in downtown Chicago. Gee whiz, it was the like the United Nations! A staunchy middle aged White man sat across from me making calls. Another volunteer asked him, "You look like a Republican." He responded, "Yes, for my entire life." Another young volunteer asked, "Why are you here?" The Republican said, "I do not understand the politics of my party anymore. That is not the Republican Party. Our chances as a nation are better with Obama than with what our party." This occurred two days before the November election.

    I can remember a time in America when people would rather remain in a bad situation than to try someone new, especially if African American or any race other than White.

    I don't know. The more I think about it (for I had not considered this scenario until just now) Obama does deserve the prize. For a few months in our 200 year plus history, America became unified nation. We were one people, made of many, one unified soul. If he can do that, well, then he gets the prize. Job well done.

    LOL Well, now we are back to our old selves. But hey, it happened, if only for a little while.

    ReplyDelete